The Steward School offers camps you won’t find anywhere else, in a beautiful, convenient setting. With the ability to hold classes in the arts, athletics, academics, and innovation at top-notch facilities, plus serve as a host for outside groups, Steward is set up to serve many summer programming needs, including full-day camps to accommodate working parents’ schedules. Here’s a sample:
- With a low coach-to-player ratio, all Steward sports camps offer the opportunity to learn the basics for beginners and to hone skills for more experienced young athletes. Keep kids busy with lacrosse, soccer, cheerleading, tennis, baseball, field hockey, volleyball, and “All Sports,” plus Bob Foley Basketball and Redskins Flag Football. High school students and adults can take advantage of yoga, too.
- Art camps are one-of-a-kind at Steward because our facilities are world class, and our instructors go above and beyond to provide unique experiences. Campers in Glass Fusion and Clay produce museum-style pieces, and budding actors and actresses in grades 1-10 have a choice of two theatre camps: Let’s Put on a Show and Shakespearian Theatre (taught by Bard Unbound).
- By the time August rolls around, kids often need to be rescued from boredom—SOS to the rescue! Steward’s Outstanding Summer (SOS) Camp will combine everything that kids want to do into one week: scrapbooking, crafts, fitness, board games, theatre, and more, plus afternoon field trips to places like the bowling alley, laser tag, and Jumpology.
- Have you ever heard of urban homesteading? It’s like going back to a time when people had to make everything for themselves. At Urban Homesteading Camp, campers will dress in era-appropriate costumes each day and learn about gardening, baking on an open hearth, spinning yarn and knitting, candle making, agriculture, and organic skin care, just to name a few of the “home-spun” activities.
- Interested in learning how to use that fancy camera? Students in grades 6-10 can register for Creative Clicks, a camp at which they’ll learn more than just how to use photos for social media. High school students and adults can choose Photography and Photoshop Workshop, a one-day camera boot camp with three professional photographers who will cover all aspects of taking great pictures. Their class will conclude with a gallery reception to study the artists’ work!
- Germany in June will be like a week-long visit to the Deutschland, a complete cultural experience that will focus on the language, food, media, crafts, and events of the country.
- Wouldn’t you like to be able to create your own beaded jewelry? Our Jewelry Camp instructor will teach campers how to make professional quality necklaces, bracelets, and earrings worthy of being displayed in a boutique.
- Steward offers three types of cooking camps during the summer: Edible Education will teach Open a Bakery and Science of Cooking for younger students, and Your Turn to Cook is for older kids who want to get some kitchen experience under their belts.
- Helping others and exposure to important causes are at the forefront of Community Service Sampler, a camp partnership with HandsOn Greater Richmond, through which campers will work at Shalom Farms, Lewis Ginter, Safe Harbor, and the Ronald McDonald House.
- Steward is a school, so of course we have excellent academic camps designed to get students ready for the next school year. We have three Spanish camps, each designed with a particular age group in mind—it’s easy to lose all that language training during the long summer, so these refresher classes will bring kids up to speed. For each elementary grade level, there’s an academic camp that will focus on reinforcement in a relaxed atmosphere, and older students can work on math and language arts skills at our customized camps.
- Do you have high school students who need to use the summer to prepare for the future? Steward will host Always First Driving Academy teachers for Driver’s Education classes, and two experienced teachers will hold an SAT Prep
- Adult classes are new to the Summer Experience this year! Yoga? Check. Art? Check (including wine-inspired classes!). Cooking with a trained chef? Mmmmm…check. And, don’t forget about the Photography Workshop!
In addition to all of the above, Steward will offer camps by Bricks 4 Kidz (LegosTM), Young Rembrandts (art), Active Learning Services (chess and video game design), and Virginia Fishing Adventures. Campers as young as age 4 can find a way to have a fantastic SUMMER EXPERIENCE at The Steward School. Our camps are open to the community—welcome!
Article provided by The Steward School