The avocado lime salad is a perfect salad for the dog days of summer or a light meal that won’t bog you down. The salad is very flexible and can be modified to fit anyone’s needs. If you like slight sweetness in your salad, you can add some honey. If you need the salad to be more substantial, you can top the salad with some chicken. The brightness of the lime juice paired with the creaminess of the avocado make this a favorite during the summer.
Avocado Lime Salad
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 large ripe avocados, diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 2 heads of butter lettuce, cut into medium sized pieces
- 1 cucumber, seeded, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons of coarsely chopped cilantro
- (optional) 1 tablespoon of honey
- (optional) 1 chicken breast, cooked
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. If you would like a hint o sweetness in your salad, you can add honey to this mixture.
- Add tomatoes, avocados, green onion, and garlic to the medium bowl with the mixture. Gently combine everything together.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, cumin, 1 tablespoon of lime juice, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Add butter lettuce to the bowl and toss.
- Place lettuce onto 4 salad plates.
- Scoop the avocado mixture on to lettuce.
- Top each plate with cucumber and cilantro. If desired, you can place slices of cooked chicken breast for a heartier salad.