If you are interested in taking your steaks to another level, you need to try this recipe. The buttery steak paired with the sweet and tangy red onion jam explode with flavor. Whether it may a weekend dinner or a mid-week treat, this steak will surely not disappoint. If you need some suggestions for side dishes, we recommend roasted mini potatoes and grilled asparagus. To fully round out the meal for the adults, a nice shiraz compliments this dish very well!
Grilled Rib Eye Steak with Red Onion Jam
Total time: 60 mins Serves 2
2 (1-2 inch thick) bone-in rib eye steaks
2 tablespoons soft unsalted butter
2 teaspoons of minced thyme
2 garlic cloves, minced
Red Onion Jam
2 medium red onions, sliced
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup maple syrup
Red Onion Jam
1. Add red onion slices and olive oil in a saucepan and cook over medium heat. Stir occasionally and cook until onion slices become translucent and soft.
2. Add apple cider vinegar and maple syrup to the saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
3. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add salt and pepper. Let the mixture cool. If preferred, you can also blend the mixture for a smoother texture.
4. Preheat the grill until hot.
5. Brush olive oil on both sides of the steaks. Season the steaks with salt and pepper.
6. In a bowl, thoroughly mix the butter, thyme, and garlic.
7. Grill the steaks until both sides have a nice char and the fat has started to render.
8. When the steaks are cooked to the desired doneness, take a spoon and scoop out the butter mixture onto one side of the steak. Cook for only 1 minute.
9. Flip the steak and repeat on the other side. Make sure to have thongs ready as the butter can cause flare-ups.
10. Remove the steaks and let it rest.
11. Plate the steaks along with the red onion jam.