The Steward School offers camps you won’t find anywhere else in a beautiful, convenient setting in Richmond’s West End. With the ability to hold classes in the arts, athletics, academics, and innovation at top-notch facilities, plus serve as a host for outside groups, Steward is set up for a summer of fun and enrichment, including full-day camps to accommodate working parents’ schedules. New this year, we are also offering the option to sign up for a full summer of camps and save!
- Many of our camps are half-days and can be pieced together to create a full day of camp from 9 a.m.-4:00 p.m. If you can’t find an all-day camp that suits your needs, consider choosing a morning camp (9 a.m.-12 p.m.) and adding Afternoon Adventures for $175.
- Steward is a school, so first and foremost, we offer excellent academic camps designed to get students ready for the next school year. We have language arts and math camps for every age group; these camps are designed to make the subjects come alive (making summer reading and math assignments easier!) in a relaxed summer setting. We also offer a Spanish camp for lower schoolers, and camps like Kindergarten Discovery and Scribbles and Wiggles to help our youngest students prepare academically and socially for the year ahead.
- We are going innovation crazy this summer with numerous choices. Campers can code and race drones through an obstacle course they create, build their own remote-controlled car with Arduino technology, or gear up their Jedi engineering skills by designing and building with Legos and Play-Well TEKnologies.
- With a low coach-to-player ratio, all Steward sports camps offer the opportunity to learn the basics for beginners or hone skills for more experienced young athletes. Keep kids busy with lacrosse, soccer, cheerleading, tennis, baseball, field hockey, volleyball, and “All Sports,” plus Bob Foley Basketball and Redskins Flag Football.
- Steward offers cooking camps for aspiring chefs in our state-of-the-art Bryan Innovation Lab Kitchen. Students in grades 1-5 and 6-12 will slice, dice, and chop their way to culinary enlightenment in Victoria’s Kitchen; Edible Education will lead Food for Fitness and the ever-popular Open a Bakery; and older kids (grades 6-10) can take Culinary Camp to gain some real kitchen experience under the tutelage of a professional chef.
- Arts camps are one-of-a-kind at Steward because our facilities are world class and our instructors go above and beyond to provide unique experiences. New and exciting this year: children in grades K-2 can Design the Runway and create their own fashion line. Budding actors and actresses in grades K-5 can take Let’s Put on a Show, complete with a performance at the end of the camp. The Greater Richmond School of Music is offering Guitar FUNdamentals, Guitar Pro, and Summer String Thing. In addition, Young Rembrandts instructors will teach art camps at Steward for grades JK-5.
- Have you ever heard of urban homesteading? It’s like going back to a time when people had to make everything for themselves. At Urban Homesteading camp, campers will learn about gardening, baking, working with wool and fiber, candle and soap making, healing plants and honeybees, and natural skin care, just to name a few of the “home-spun” activities.
- Helping others and exposure to important causes are at the forefront of Community Service Sampler, through which older campers will work at multiple locations on projects that will help them develop good stewardship skills.
- Have you ever wanted to build your own city? Or design a dream house? In Architecture 101, older campers will learn about proportion, scale, measurement, and craftsmanship, using professional-grade resources and recycled materials to create miniature architectural models.
- Do you have high school students who need to use the summer to prepare for the future? Steward will host Always First Driving Academy for Driver’s Education classes, and two experienced teachers will hold an SAT Prep session to help improve scores, increase confidence, and reduce test-taking stress.
In addition to all of the above, Steward will offer chess and video game design camps through Active Learning Services and old-fashioned fun with Virginia Fishing Adventures. Campers as young as age 4 can find a way to have a fantastic SUMMER EXPERIENCE at The Steward School. Our camps are open to the community—welcome!
This article has been provided by The Steward School.