With the kids going back to school, life gets a little busier. Packing a balanced lunch can help your whole family to have better health, save money and eat better! Remember to model your meals off of MyPlate, and use our infographic to help you build a better lunch!
- MARTIN’S can help you save time! Choose options that are individually portioned and packed “to-go”, or pre-cut fruits and veggies to make packing lunches easier;
- Plan ahead on Sunday and portion out foods into Ziploc bags, then pack the lunch the night before.
- Make a “lunch” drawer or cabinet – keep all prepackaged foods and portioned out bags here!
- Get a good sized lunchbox, cold pack and some tightly sealing containers to keep lunch chilled and fresh – and some fun, colorful note paper for a fun finish to lunch.
- Include all the parts of “MyPlate” – just follow the infographic! Remember: Keep it balanced! If you pack a sandwich made with bread, include fresh blueberries instead of a blueberry muffin.
- Mix it up to keep your kids interested in eating healthy:
- Have the kids help make these fun Bagel Pizzas the night before;
- Quesadillas are another fun and easy lunch option; just make sure to use whole wheat tortillas!
- Bean and cheese burritos in corn tortillas;
- Use lettuce with tuna to make a wrap instead of bread;
- Pack your leftovers – leftovers from dinner the night before make great lunches that take only a second to pack!
- Instead of potato chips, try dry roasted edamame or chickpeas for a salty, crunchy snack with some protein. Individually packed, pitted olives are also a nice alternative to chips!
For more tips on packing the perfect lunch, visit MARTIN’S online or call to schedule a consultation with Caroline, or with Valerie Pulley, MARTIN’S in-store nutritionist on Richmond’s West End.
Caroline Roessler, MS, RDN is an in-store nutritionist at MARTIN’S Food Markets’ Charter Colony location in Midlothian. She believes that food should be good for us, and taste great too. She is committed to offering practical, evidence-based advice to help families make sustainable healthy changes to their lifestyle. To get a plan tailored to you, call Caroline at 804-794-7074 or email her at Caroline.Roessler@giantmartins.com to set up a one-on-one consultation.